Saturday, April 3, 2010

Coco Beach at Oyster Bay


On the shores of Coco Beach



The sand felt like gummy clay between my bare toes. It made a chewy sound as I gently stepped across the beach laden with shallow rocks and threads of green seaweed. Small white crabs quickly poked themselves in and out of the sand as the tide waters passed over the shore. Local children played in the distance while an ominous black cloud slowly moved in to provide yet another brief downpour as part of the April rainy season. A cool breeze carried the smell of ocean back to the nearby open air cafe where my mom looked on, awaiting my return.

The eastern edge of Dar es Salaam borders the Indian Ocean and the city has several relatively unspoilt beaches that are very close to the city center. Despite the chaos, poverty, and endless traffic of Dar, scenes like these make me appreciative of this seemingly remote part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome Shelley what're you doing over there..some kind of missionary work pre med school?

    Hope you're having a blast and you're well! :P

    Vishal

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey vishal! kind of... just wanted to document what my mom's been up to for the last 12 yrs on the other side of the world. never had enuf time to visit. but this is part of my last hurrah pre-medschool ;)

    ReplyDelete