Monday, April 19, 2010

Q&A with Missionary Kim Part 3


Missionary Kim visits with Mama Andreas, a member of the church



This is the final installment in the series of questions that I asked Missionary Kim about her work in Tanzania.


1. What are some of the ways you have seen changes in people's lives demonstrated by their acceptance of Christ?
After accepting Christ, many men have stopped drinking and use their money to buy food for their wives and children. Alcohol is available very cheaply here and some men used all the money they had to buy the local grain alcohol instead of providing food for their families. 500TShs of food will not fill a belly, but 500TShs of alcohol will fill one up.

Also, polygamy is an accepted custom here. We cant reject a man just because he has more than one wife. But we can affect how they live their lives going forward. After accepting Christ, the men say they will not take on more wives.

2. How did you get your start in the pharmaceutical distribution business that largely funds many of your missionary initiatives?
When I first started the business, it was truly god's blessing. A medical researcher from Korea had come to Tanzania to conduct research on tropical diseases. He also happened to be a deacon at his church. Since I'd been in the country for a while, I showed him around and got to know him a bit. He had an existing relationship with Shin Poong [SP] (a Korean pharmaceutical manufacturer) and told them about me as a person in Tanzania who is of good faith running an import/export business. He also told SP that if they supported me, their products will be able to gain traction in this part of the world. SP contacted me and I conducted the research to tell SP what kinds of medicines were needed in Tanzania. Despite having no pre-existing relationship with me, SP sent two containers of medicines sight unseen without any upfront payment. I really feel this was God's way of helping me. I didn't know these people at all, and SP's cost of goods was nearly $250,000, a huge sum even today. There was no collateral, nothing. I paid them back over 3-5 years. That's how I started off. But my focus was on the mission so I didn't prioritize the business. Of course I worked hard on the business as well and as the years went by it didn't do too bad.

3. You have a lot of moxie*
My boldness (Korean: 배짱) is all I have. My stupid boldness. I started my missionary work without the formal support of a church. Of course I didn't accomplish everything on my own. But I believe that I was part of God's plan.

*moxie |ˈmäksē|  noun informal
force of character, determination, or nerve : when you've got moxie, you need the clothes to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment