Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Random Baby

What am I supposed to do here?

Khanga: large piece of traditional Tanzanian fabric worn by women serving many functions including skirt, top covering, and baby carrier

The baby was literally dropped in my lap by a little girl no more than five years old wearing a tattered green dress. The baby was partially wrapped in a khanga and writhed and cried as it stared up at me, the freakish white person. My mom explained that part of the custom in this country is to greet female visitors by having them hold the baby of the household. We were visiting a member of the church and I was seated near the entry door of the church member's house. The giggly little girl quickly disappeared and I was left holding the unconsolable baby. I could see my own reflection in his large brown eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment